Re: bootable, rootable, base, and the rest

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:

> > (A variant is to construct the filesystem in a way that the fs mounted
> > from the medium can be readonly. Then you can simply loop-mount it
> > into the already-existing fs.)
>
> I would like to try the readonly-medium variant. That give us a lot of
> room to include support for graphical installations, exotic targets (MD
> rootfs, loop mounted fs, ...) and so on. It also plays nice with
> different source media (CD-ROM, NFS mounted partition, SMB, or even
> that HTTP-fs thingie ...

Hmmmm... I don't see why we couldn't have a read-only (loop-mounted,
whatever) rootfs, although it would seem to me that that implies some
non-trivial hacking to dbootstrap (maybe not, I'm not sure).

What are our options for initrd? Those are defined by the kernel,
right?  Do we really need initrd, or not?  We would need it if we
wanna have a bootable kernel which then you add stuff to (modules) to
mount root.  AFAIK, this would allow us to module-ize all the scsi
drivers, etc.