Re: pcmcia on the boot disks

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 12:34:31AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> In message <[🔎] XFMail.990627190033.shaleh@varesearch.com> you wrote:
> >Sony VAIO w/ Sony cd.  I can boot and install Windows from the cd-rom.  I can
> >boot from the cd and get to the point where it tries to do stuff.  Then the
> >pcmcia stuff quits working and I can not see cardmgr or anything else to kick
> >start it with.
Known problem, even Linus got bitten by this. There is no pcmcia stuff on
the root disk. The BIOS was doing everything until then.

The solution would be to include pcmcia stuff on the rootdisk, use an
initial ramdisk, let the user load the appropriate modules from there and
continue normally after linux sees the cdrom.

The general problem is that there are more and more computers (notebooks
currently but that could change) that do not have access to external
mass storage devices (CD-ROM, net) after booting of the kernel, but only
after a few user space programs are run.

Btw: Linus had the same problems recently when trying to install Linux on
his notebook with a pcmcia CD-ROM only, and no distribution available was
able to install Linux on this thing. We could make a prominent one switch
over if we solve this :-)

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source