Re: m68k boot floppies support ACSI ? VME?

Nick> Installing an NFS root file system works for VMR, the code just
Nick> needs to be enabled by a #define in dinstall.h, you just need to
Nick> configure the network as the first step of the installation,
Nick> then you will be prompted with 'NFS' when you select the 'mount
Nick> previously initialised partition' option in dbootstrap. I
Nick> believe that if you don't have any local disks you will be
Nick> prompted to configure the network as the initial 'next step',
Nick> though I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Yes; I already had documentation about NFSROOT and diskless machines
in the manual for Sparc.  I looked up the defines in dinstall.h and
sure enough, NFSROOT *and* SERIAL_CONSOLE is enabled.  Sorry that I
didn't catch this before 2.1.9.  I've corrected it in my post 2.1.9
boot-floppies; I don't know when we're going to have another upload,
but for now I suggest you point users to
<URL:http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/> for continually updated
documentation.  I'll be refreshing this later today.

Nick> As for getting the initial kernel and ramdisk into memory, I
Nick> have a package 'tftplilo' which provides this functionality for
Nick> VME. Basically you configure the VME boards to TFTP and execute
Nick> the tftplilo binary. Tftplilo then takes over transferring an
Nick> ASCII configuration file which details various boot
Nick> configurations, i.e. kernel, ramdisk, kernel command line etc.
Nick> etc. The user is prompted to choose the configuration required,
Nick> then tftplilo proceeds to tftp and boot the selected kernel and
Nick> ramdisk images.  The problem is that it's a new package and I'm
Nick> not sure if I'm permitted to upload this to 'frozen'. I would
Nick> consider it quite important if we want to fully support VME on
Nick> this release, but that's just my biased opinion.

Yike, is this basically transparent to the user?

A VME user might review the Installation Manual and check whether I
need to change anything.