Re: m68k boot floppies support ACSI ? VME?

Nick Holgate wrote:
> > Kernels etc. are there; a problem with VME might be installation
> > on diskless machines, I'm not sure we can mount a NFS root filesystem to
> > install on with the current ramdisks. You should know if that's an option
> on
> > ix86 or some other arch.
>
> Installing an NFS root file system works for VMR, the code just needs to be
> enabled by a #define in dinstall.h, you just need to configure the network
> as the first step of the installation, then you will be prompted with 'NFS'
> when you select the 'mount previously initialised partition' option in
> dbootstrap. I believe that if you don't have any local disks you will be
> prompted to configure the network as the initial 'next step', though I
> haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Sounds good; I got your diff and will try that next time I build the stuff.

> As for getting the initial kernel and ramdisk into memory, I have a package
> 'tftplilo' which provides this functionality for VME. Basically you
> configure the VME boards to TFTP and execute the tftplilo binary. Tftplilo
> then takes over transferring an ASCII configuration file which details
> various boot configurations, i.e. kernel, ramdisk, kernel command line etc.
> etc. The user is prompted to choose the configuration required, then
> tftplilo proceeds to tftp and boot the selected kernel and ramdisk images.
> The problem is that it's a new package and I'm not sure if I'm permitted to
> upload this to 'frozen'. I would consider it quite important if we want to
> fully support VME on this release, but that's just my biased opinion.

Well, my not-so-politically correct opinion is that I don't care if I get
that package from frozen or from your home directory on master. If that's
what it takes to get VME supported reasonably well, I'd suggest we add it to
my boot-floppies builds and argue with whoever guards frozen while we sort
out eventual problems with it.

BTW: your problems with makedev are perfectly normal; I filed a bug against
makedev IIRC which seems pending because of the /dev/adb clash. I'll check
the
bug status and maybe update my bug to sound more urgent :-)

	Michael