Re: A few thoughts about 2.1.4

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:02:02 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org> said:
> I'm attacking the bugs older than two years now. Nobody will regret
> their historical interest?

Um, don't close a bug unless either it's fixed, or we can't figure out
what the problem is, and the submitter is no longer responding, and we
suspect it's fixed.

Closing bugs just because they are old is not right.

> My concern is that slink is frozen for a very long time. People on
> debian-devel are even asking that we drop it and start with potato!
> I'm not in favor of it, since this would mean to start again so many
> tasks but I just want to be sure that the blocking factors are
> properly identified so people who are ready to help can choose the
> right task.

Slink, even right now, with a couple of exceptions (multi-cd support
is shakey in my mind), is already far superior to hamm.  I can't
imagine any reason to just jump to potato aside from version
fetishism.

BTW, we hear this every time.  IIRC, hamm was froze for like 4 months
before release.  I'm confident we can release around Feb 1.

> It seems that all the problems are with non-i386 architectures? Is
> it OK to regard them as experimental and to say that they should not
> stop the release of the most used architecture? After all, you
> cannot invent the parts who miss. If the people who work on other
> platforms have no time to update the documentation, it shouldn't
> delay slink in its whole.

I would say release x86 slink before non-x86 slink, if that's what it
takes.  I don't see why they all have to release together.

> [Working on debian-cd and boot-floppies' install.sgml now.]

Excellent things to work on.

Be careful; I just converted the whole shbang to debiandoc-sgml, in a
fit of disgust over sgml-tools v1.x.