Re: console-tools in base

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 12:46:31AM +0200, dirson@debian.org wrote:
> Matt Porter writes:
>  > The problem I'm seeing is more directly related to running on serial
>  > console.  The postinst file for console-tools (and kbd previously) want
>  > to run loadkeys/dumpkeys and yet their is not a normal console facility
>  > to do that.  These packages break during configuration on a serial console
>  > so we don't want them to be "required" on all systems.  The "required"
>  > priority makes them get autoselected in dselect after the system is
>  > installed (and they have already been removed by the installer which knows
>  > it is on sercon and can't make use of consolee-*).
>
> Ah, I get it.  Sorry.
>
> So it appears that the notion of priority depends on the profile ? ...

If you mean that it priority depends on a headed/non-headed machine profile,
then yes.  However, if making it optional doesn't affect operation of
headed machines than that seems like the easy route to fixing this. It
also seems the most appropriate considering that console-tools isn't really
required on _all_ Debian boxes any more.

A long term fix would be to add support for package priorities to be
dynamic based on the type or profile of the system...That's a little ugly,
IMHO.

> Would it be sufficient to lower the priority to "Important" ?

I thought so at first, but I looked at my dselect selection menus on a
freshly installed machine and it autoselects anything under "Important"
as well.

What side-effect does moving to optional have on a base package?  This is
where I'm kind of hazy.

--
Matt Porter                                   Motorola Computer Group
mporter@mcg.mot.com                           CIBU Linux Support