Re: sarge netinst of today: pcmcia problem

Joey Hess wrote:
Harald Dunkel wrote:

Hi folks,

I tried to install Debian on a laptop with a Xircom PCMCIA
network card using the Sarge netinst CD of today. Autodetection
of the NIC did not work, but I could manually specify the
network driver to load (xircom_cb). The problem is:

Booting from the freshly installed disk the pcmcia service
could not be loaded. The error message was

/lib/modules/2.4.22-1-i386/pcmcia/i82365.o: \
unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev_R27cb2cad

Try modprobe isa-pnp.

This made the missing symbol go away, but the network
stuff still did not load. Seems that there were several
problems:

- discover loaded i82365.o instead of i82092.o.
  Maybe this can be configured; I haven't checked.
  The workaround was to add i82092 to /etc/modules.

- the pcmcia script was started _much_ too late in
  the runlevel procedure. After moving it from
  rc2.d/S20pcmcia to rcS.d/S37pcmcia (thats before
  ifupdown is called) it worked. The PPP stuff has
  been removed.

Regards

Harri