as we wrap up the string freeze..

7 languages are now at 100% translation. Wow!

Tomorrow we should try to upload all the packages that have updated
translations. Then translators can do some test installs and make sure
they didn't miss anything and that it all looks good. We'll need lots of
test installs in the next week anyway as we preare for the beta.

I think we should hold off on changing any strings before the beta,
unless there is a very good reason. One exception I'd like to make is
adding new strings for error reporting and handling. I know there are a
few places where such new strings were needed during the string freeze,
and were left out. It's surely better to display an untranslated error
than no error at all. I could also make an exception for important
progress bars, like the mythical mkfs progress bar..

Of course the 100% translation number is only for d-i, and leaves out
packages in the second stage. There has been some work on base-config,
but it is lacking some translations, and remember that it has two sets
of po files; the second set is only translated in a few languages.
Other second stage packages are not formally string frozen, but
translators should look at translating their debconf templates too.

--
see shy jo