Re: packaging of boot images for debian-cd

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:31:51PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently rearanging the building of debian-installer images. This
> results in new names and a larger variety of images to choose from.
>
> Namely there are now 3 types of cdroms:
>
> 1. cdrom-boot  - just boots in an arch specific manner
> 2. cdrom-udebs - boot from cdrom and have udebs for d-i on it
> 3. cdrom-base  - boot from cdrom, have udebs and debs on it
>                  (standalone cd)
>
> Currently all 3 types have the same kernel(s) but the initrd for them
> differs. Debian-installer can generate those 3 types images itself
> (with just enough debs forbase on type 3). A full Debian CD set would
> use type 3 boot images.
>
> The question now is how to package up the kernel(s), initrd and list
> of required udebs/debs for each type in a way debian-cd can
> use.
>
> I suggest building a debian-installer-bootimages.deb containing the
> kernel, initrd and udebs/debs lists (i.e. debian-cd task files) for
> each type and let debian-cd depend or suggest that. One huge advantage
> of a deb would be that autobuilders can build and upload them
> already. Drawback would be that what the sources build would differ
> depending of the versions of udebs present in the debian archive. Only
> way around that drawback would be to include all udebs needed (5-20MB)
> which is ugly.
>
> Objections, comments, suggestions?

decide what you want to do:

  debian-installer
  debian-cd

debian-cd, what goes on which 640Mb iso image
debian-installer, modular concept on installing on bare computers,
project boundary is installing the regular debian packages, .deb.

discuss d-i issues here, cd issues elsewhere
AFAICT there is now need for "cdrom-base" in debian-installer

> MfG
>         Goswin

Geert Stappers