Re: new installer

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 21:18, simon raven wrote:
> Le Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 21:12:48 -0400, Dan Weber a écrit:
> > Well my intentions were to tell the bootloader to wait until it has all of
> > it into memory.  However this may cause a requirement of 8mb <
>
> i see. so it'S be something like:
> "load stuff -> call to load other stuff -> etc. -> boot" ?
>
> > If the bootloader can't support putting it all into memory first, then Ill
> > hack into it till it does.  But this seemed like a working solution.  The
> > bootloader doesn't need to know how to deal with cds.  The kernel should
> > have iso9660 support in it so that should be the solution.
>
> though yaboot(2) does grok iso9660 already, OF does too IIRC. quik groks
> ext2 (we still need to keep quik in the equation, just in case). and
> yeh, you're right the kernel should be doing the grokking, not the BL.
We're not using grub for ppc so the bootloader should be out of the picture when it
comes down to connecting with rootfs.  This should be involved by
kernel.  Since the kernel will be on the floppy the initrd on another
one.  The BL should never have to see the iso9660 at all.

--
Dan Weber
D-I 2.6 Project