d-i minimum system requirements

Arg, resending...

     Drew Daniels

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:06:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: Drew Scott Daniels <umdanie8@cc.UManitoba.CA>
To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject: d-i minimum system requirements

Hi,
I was wondering if there was any speculation on what the minimum system
requirements for d-i are.

Is 4MB, 8MB, 12MB enough ram? How close are things to any real RAM limit?

The current kernel used should make d-i usable on a 386 and newer for ia32
arches due to math emulation being turned on?

Does the installer require a CD-ROM drive or a network connection? I.e.
does the cd install work, and can one install via floppy disks? If it is
possible to install via floppy disks, what is the minimum requirements for
the disks? Single sided, single density?

Can anna recover from download failures? High latency, corrupted packets,
low bandwidth are still issues that users deal with these days... although
TCP usually does a good job of recovering from corrupted packets. If it
does have the ability to recover, how nice is it?

The current discover was having problems with finding ISA devices unlike
an older version... Is this fixed? Is discover 2.0 out yet? Is discover
still used on the installer? A good test for this might be using boches'
ethernet card emulation.

What other minimum requirements are there?

I'll look at doing some testing on Boches again once I have time.

     Drew Daniels