Re: kernel-image-2.4.20-udeb: please include e100 and e1000 nic drivers

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 01:04:57AM +0100, Thorsten Sauter wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 06:37:39AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > Do you want the e1000 module to go into nic-modules or nic-modules-extra?
>
> I think -extra would be the best. Because not so many people use 1Gbit
> network cards in his PC's :)

The reason for the bug report this is response to is the motherboard I
was trying to do a d-i network install on had an intel e1000 on it. They
are becoming much more common than many people realize, and do not work
with the old eepro100 driver. Also it might be a good idea to replace
the old eepro100 driver on the d-i with the new e100 driver. I am not
certain what the differences are other than the e100 driver was actually
written by Intel.

On current x86 machines the most common nics I have seen are the
following:

e100      - usually found on older Intel based Motherboards
e1000     - usually found on newer Intel based Motherboards
rtl8139   - Cheap alternative on many Motherboards (ALi/nVidia* use this)
sis900    - usually found on SiS based Motherboards
via-rhine - usually found on Via based Motherboards

Some motherboards also include Broadcom 100mbps or 1000mbps chips but
are not as common as the above chipsets (I think those are the Broadcom
4400 and Broadcom Tigon3).  Besides the above chipsets the only chipset
I know of that is still very common is tulip for addin cards. Of course
other chipsets such as 3com (3c59x) are common on old desktops and
laptops.

So IMHO support the above 5 nics at minimum, and if room exists add
support for tulip, 3c59x, the 2 broadcoms, and anything else that will
fit.

Thanks,

Chris

* Some vendors use the onboard nVidia nic that is only supported by
binary only driver so user may be SOL.