udebs for more than just installation

[I have set Mail-Followup-To; please To/CC me on replies.]

Hi guys,

Over here at Progeny we're wondering about the feasibility of using
udebs in resource-constrained environments for more than just
installation.

How feasible would it be to use udebs as "real" packages?  I note that
udpkg appears to support maintainer scripts, though I don't know it
supports them as comprehensively as regular dpkg (see sections 6.4 and
6.5 of the Debian Policy Manual).

Another approach we're thinking about is regular dpkg support for
directory exclusion during package unpack, for things like documentation
and localization files.  Of course, that's more an issue for
debian-dpkg... :)

Anyway, I thought you guys might have the best insights into udebs since
you use them the most.

--
Branden Robinson          | GPG signed/encrypted mail welcome
branden@progeny.com       | 1024D/9C0BCBFB