Re: Working Network Installs

"Cassandra Lynette Brockett" <cass@ophiuchi.net> writes:

> I was just wondering if anyone is working on creating a working network
> system for Debian?

Yes. I've install using boot-floppies over network completely lots of
times.  Not on i386 though.

> At the moment all the available methods require a boot disk of some variety,
> however it is possible to boot debian off the network including the
> installer, however this still means that a disk or cd is required to load
> "rescue.bin" and "drivers.tgz"...

That's not true.  I've netbooted/netinstalled SPARC and PPC many
times.

> If no one else is working on it, I am modifying one of the root.bin files
> (currently just bf2.4/root.bin from woody) to allow complete network booting
> and installation, if there is someone working on it, I would like to join
> forces on this one.

We're not adding features to boot-floppies, actually.  It's
maintenance only.  Work on debian-installer.

Anyhow i386 booting is a pain because you have to pick packet drivers
for your particular ether card.