Re: gtkfb in d-i

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:25:07PM +0100, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> Michael Cardenas <mbc@debian.org> wrote:

> No, the way I understood it, it must be like this:
>
> Make build dependencies on gtk-directfb and all its required libraries
> for the _installer_ (-> build/debian/control). Then one has to install
> these libs onto the build system in order to build the installer.
> If at buildtime there is any executable in the buildtree that uses
> functions of one of these libraries, mklibs will create reduced
> libraries from the ones installed on the build systems and copy it on
> the install tree.
>
> I tried that:
> I took all libraries from normal debs except gtk-directfb for which
> there exists no deb and directfb, because the one in sid is too
> old. Then I compiled the latter two myself and installed them onto my
> build system. When I built the installer with putting
> EXTRAFILES=/usr/bin/gtk-demo into the Makefile mklibs copies the
> required libraries and reduces them. The additional libraries eat up
> 4MB of diskspace.

sounds great.

> So if we stick to that mechanism, we would need the following:
>
> - debs for gtk-directfb
> - recent debs for directfb (we could ask the maintainer for that)
> - perhaps: udebs for the other libraries (pango, freetype...)
>   containing only configuration and data files
> - perhaps: an udeb for fonts
> - we need /dev/tty* and /dev/fb*
> - fb support activated in the installer kernel?
> - ...?
>
> Any comments?
>
> Sebastian

I'm still working on the pango deb, and I'll email the directfb
maintainer.

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"Searching for the Truth through words and speech is like sticking your head in a bowl of glue."
- Yuan Wu