Re: working on the Alpha port

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 05:06:05PM +0300, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote:

> NLM> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:04:57PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> >> I don't know how far over alpha is, but fitting on a PC floppy might be
> >> too much to ask of architectures with 64 bit code. You can always go the
> >> two floppy route if you need to..
> NLM>
> NLM> The i386 kernel from the recent alpha snapshot is roughly half the size
> NLM> of the Alpha kernel I'm working with.  The initrd image is slightly
>
> current i386 is about 650K, alpha ~ 930K. The smallest working alpha
> kernel I have created was 830K. This leaves ~600K for a compressed
> initrd.img. This is not enough, also.

I think there's quite a lot of things that can be done to a standard
2.4-kernel to decrease its size. Now, I don't have an alpha, so I can't
test my changes directly, but I'll have a look at the source and see
if I can come up with something to shave off a 100k or so. Would
that be enough, or would you need even further shaving?

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /> David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander      <\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //