Re: cvs commit to debian-installer/anna by barbier

fre 2002-11-22 klockan 10.05 skrev Denis Barbier:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I made these changes because cdebconf had a different behaviour than
> debconf, and assumed that SUBST was used as a workaround.
> From debconf-devel.7 about the SUBST command:
>
>        Do not try to use SUBST to change the default value
>        of a question; it won't work since there is  a  SET
>        command explicielt for that purpose.

Oh, hmm, I didn't know that.

> That said, I don't have a definitive answer to your question yet, so
> you may use SUBST if you want.  But in this particular case, I see no
> difference between the 2 alternatives (except for variable substitution),
> are there any?

Well, let's say that the template has default
  Foo, Bar${DYNAMIC}
I don't know, long shot *shrug*

So you're saying that instead of substing into the default, I should GET
the question, check if it's NULL or "", and if so, SET the value I want
to have as default? Sounds cumbersome...

joeyh? Do you have any comments on this?

To me, being able to set the default is useful, it means that "I don't
know if this has a value or not, and if it does, I don't want to
override it" but maybe I'm the only one.

/Martin