Re: 3.0.22 plan, translations (b-f bugs dropping like flies.)

> Could we drop es, and fit in ja, and does it work, or do we need to
> drop another language to fit ja in ?

> Also, I was thinking, could we revert the "keymaps translation" ?
> It seems to take up a lot of space. (this is a wdiff, of ls -lR before
> and after reverting the keymaps translation by claush)

I respect your desire to get ja support into the i386 floppies, but I
would really regret if we intentionally forced English menus into an
otherwise localized installation process for all languages.

IMHO if we *really* want to gain more space by dropping some of the
localization support, we should choose the more uncommon error messages
instead of pulling out a menu that *everybody* sees. (This would "only"
confuse and annoy users getting these particular messages and still be a
sluggish approach).
Soon all languages can be chosen from any CD og DVD installation, which
- some argue - is used by most people anyway. Wouldn't it be a pity to
drop translations from these CDs that has lots of space for them just
because it doesn't fit into the i386 floppy version?

If we really *had* to leave out the translation of this menu, the only
sane and consistent way would be to use the same scheme as in the
language chooser menu: Translate each single item into the apropriate
language.

I hope b-f will continue to move in the direction of *improved*
localization support - competing with other popular distributions. IMHO
that will also include localized versions of programs like cfdisk and
fdisk.

BTW I still feel that the best quick-and-dirty solution providing
support for more languages would be to offer a choice of root-disks with
different sets of localizations. (Yes, that would even give smaller
languages like my own a chance)
I have tried to produce a patch to do just that automatically, but I'm a
novice with makefiles and those of b-f are horribly complex to me. Of
course you can manually edit the config file and rebuild another set of
root disks, but I believe the builders would not accept that approach.

Claus Hindsgaul