Re: Unexpected console switch of the installation screen

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:25:31PM +0100, Andreas W?st wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've encountered some interesting behaviour of the debian installation system
> during a woody installation on an Amiga4000 APUS box (architecture: powerpc,
> flavor: apus), using kernel 2.4.17 and boot-floppies 3.0.19.
>
> The case why I've encountered this at all, was, that selecting "Initialize a Linux
> Partition" caused the installation system to restart, but I was told that this is an
> APUS kernel specific thing. But the following shouldn't be kernel specific, and it
> was also not known if this behaviour is erratic or if it is the expected
> behaviour of the system, so I was told to post this to this list.
>
> So here we go. When the installer restarts, it always starts in the current console
> the user is in. For example, when I change to console 3 shortly after selecting the
> ominous "Initialize a Linux Partition" menu point, it will start in console 3 (quite
> practical to see the kernel output on console, I am using -v ;) ).
> Otherwise, if I change to console 2 and the installer systems starts there,
> this is quite a bad idea, because on console 2 no keyboard entry can be done
> anymore (console 2 is the one in which a shell could be started by pressing enter
> during the installation).
>
> So, what do you think? Is this unexpected, or is it just the way it should be?
> With other words, should I file a bug against the boot-floppies, or is it just
> the way it should work and used for debugging?
>
> Kind regards,
> Andi

The restart bug on Initialize has been fixed. (A release is due shortly.) As far
as what happens when it restarts, I guess that's just weird behavior and outside
the realm of planned events ... unless someone knows what's going on and can fix
it without too much trouble.