Re: Install Report, powerpc oldworld 2.3.6 dtd 6/21 06:11 (woody)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 09:08:24PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> I mean the repeat-key function is active even when selecting commands from
> the menus, so you can select (default) items continuously if you hold the
> enter key down. That's probably not trivial to change, but it would be safer
> if the hold-and-repeat function for the enter key could be disabled during
> dbootstrap, so the enter key would only send one key event per press.

that has nothing to do with dbootstrap, its just an ordinary console
program that happens to use newt.  in order to get rid of key repeat
you need to use kbdrate (afaik) and that utility doesn't work on
powerpc.

i have never ran into this as a problem i think its a non-issue.  IMO
its one of those `doctor it hurts when i do this!'  well don't do that
then.

if on the other hand the kids have filled your keyboard with peanut
butter well get a new keyboard before installing debian ;-)

> The symlink was generated, I verified it was there. modules.dep was
> definitely not there.

probably because you have such serious filesystem corruption that
depmod puked.

> Wouldn't filesystem corruption be solved by re-initializing the disk? Well
> unless badblocks not working means it's trying to use bad blocks in the fs.
> I didn't have that problem with 2.2.19, I'll go back and try an install with
> the 2.2.19 floppies I still have to see if the disk is really bad.

if your disk or controller are seriously hosed you will have data
corruption no matter how many time you run mkfs.  those kernel
messages you posted about b0rked inodes and whatnot is CERTAINLY
filesystem corruption, beleive me i have had much more experience then
i would prefer in that area....

that and it looks like the filesystem drivers.tgz was living on was
corrupt as well.  what filesystem is that?  if its hfs try something
real, hfs is a flaky.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/