Re: testing with powermac/oldworld (probs in miboot, debootstrap, kernel)

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:05:03PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:57:12AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>
> >  - had to edit the 'system' file on the miboot floppy with ResEdit
> >    to add video=3Datyfb:vmode:11 for my hardware
> >
> >    Is there any workarund for this?  Any way at all to set ker
> >    args differently to cope with video hardware?
>
> not really. miboot has no useful interface.

I think I remember yellowdoglinux working on a graphical interface to
miboot, I wonder if anything came of it?

> >  - (dbootstrap 0.1.9) emits:
> >      Failure trying to run: dpkg --force-auto-select --forceoverwrite -=
-skip-
> >    This error repeats many times.
>
> i believe this is powerpc-utils fault it unecessarily diverts
> /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh which doesn't work right in debootstrap.  i
> have filed a bug to get the diversion removed since we have a working
> RTC on powerpc now (meaning we can just use hwclock like everywhere
> else).

I believe debootstrap 0.1.10 has a workaround fix which essentially
includes a --force-confold to the above line. This is indeed a
powerpc-utils--related problem. powerpc-utils is prompting about a new
conffile but stdin is /dev/null, so it fails to configure.

> >  - 'make system bootable' (quik variant) failed to actually make the
> >    system bootable from the internal hard disk; I booted right into
> >    MacOS
> >
> > I'm going to check in a bit more to all this.
>
> need more info here, i want to clean up the quik install function a
> bit...

It would be nice to know what nvsetenv calls were made, this should be
in /var/log/messages (via INFOMSG). It might also be useful to have the
output of nvsetenv on your machine.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>