Re: [salimma1@yahoo.co.uk: Re: Request for addition: USB mass storage support]

-- Cormac McGuinness <cormac@physics.bu.edu> wrote: >
Hi

> I think what Eric means is that you have a hard
> disk, you can put the
> rescue.bin and root.bin etc into a DOS directory,
> along with loadlin
> and the complete base_2.2.tgz (or whatever the file
> is called). The
> simple .bat file (which you can find in the debian
> archives) will then
> boot you into Linux, and you have immediate access
> to root.bin and can
> merrily install ...  (you have to boot into plain
Well, that at least does not work . For some reason
LILO doesn't load at all - froze after 'Uncompressing
Linux'.
> DOS first (or Windows
> 9x command line as it is now known))
> 	Read the install manual, it will give you more
> details on this
> method - which is far easier than using floppy disks
> in my opinion
> and should be highlighted more - If you do not
> already have some kind of
> DOS/Windows partition then my suggestion is of
> little help...

I still have a WinMe partition which I plan to remove.
But the idea occur that I can boot using a custom boot
disk (the rescue/root combo won't work - see below),
use it to put a root image on the to-be-swap
partition, boot using the rescue disk pointing to that
said partition, and let the drum rolls...

> 	Of course, to use the USB floppy, you may need to
> download a
> new kernel, I believe the complete 2.2.18 has all
> the USB stuff
> backported into it
Nah, the USB floppy cannot be coerced to work unless
both SCSI and USB Mass Storage are compiled as modules
(weird, that). And since modules are loaded *from* the
root disk, obviously that precludes loading root from
that floppy. Bugger.

Let's hope the Debian Installer project will produce:
1. Rescue/InitRD in one floppy like other distros, or
2. A mini rescue/initrd in conjunction with normal
floppies, for extreme cases like mine. Will actually
volunteer to do this, once I get through reading all
those Debian docs, start an attempt at package
maintenance and try my luck at the new maintainers
queue :p

Regards,

Michel Salim
Best of luck with the Woody floppies!