Re: Next attempt to add Blends to Debian installer

Hi Holger,

Am Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 11:43:35PM +0100 schrieb Holger Wansing:
> I would like to push a proposal here on this longstanding topic:

Thanks a lot for supporting this long standing topic which actually
bothers me than 20 years.  But Debian is not only about technique it is
also about patience. ;-)

> By other means, my attention was drawn to the blends-tasks package.
> While this package is not new, an idea came to my mind when reading the
> package description:
>
> As a possible way to solve (or work-around ?) this issue:
> could we just "copy tasksel with its UI and infrastructure" into a new package
> (I name it 'blends-di-tasks' here), which has all the blends listed, and add
> one entry to tasksel with a name like "Debian Pure Blends" or similar?
>
> If one then selects "Debian Pure Blends" in the good all known tasksel, the
> blends-di-tasks package would be installed on /target, and later a new dialog
> would appear, listing all the blends, where the user could select which one to
> install.
> (If the "Debian Pure Blends" entry stays unchecked, as would be the default
> value, everything stays as is: the new dialog would not appear, no difference
> to previous releases.)
>
> Would that be a possible solution for all involved parties?

I consider this an acceptable work-around and it would be definitely a
great enhancement over having nothing.

> I know, the current (?) plan is something like an "enhanced tasksel" with some
> sort of hierarchy included, but I'm not sure, if this will ever happen....

I think tasksel deserves a new design, but well if we do not have
someone who might tackle this task we need to go with the means we have.

> Thus, I wonder if this could be an alternative, which would be do-able?

Thanks a lot for this inspiring idea.