Debian Pure Blends at conferences in Asia this fall

Hi,

This fall several Free Software conferences are planned in Asia.

Debian has preapproved to sponsor travel costs for these events,
earmarked for promoting the general concept of Debian Pure Blends.

More specifically I proposed to Zack, and got preapproved, a 2-month
trip covering the following:

  * [FOSSASIA] in Ho Chi Minh City november 11-13
  * [MiniDebConf Thailand] in Bangkok november 16-20
  * talks and hands-on sessions at [ARROS] in Banda Aceh, december 1-15

Zack emphasized that the sponsoring preapproval was a) tied to the theme
(not to me personally), and b) limited to EUR 1000 (no matter the actual
ticket costs).

I kept budget tight by "convoluting" return flights (as they are often
cheaper): Return flight to Bangkok, and return flights from Bangkok to
other destinations.  This means tough flight schedule with either _very_
long transits or high risk of loosing flights in event of delays.

Originally I proposed a larger trip also covering [MiniDebconf India
Mangalore Edition] october 28-29, but failed to find sponsors for that.
If anyone has ideas for raising the additional EUR 320 please tell!

So are ask here: Anyone else than me interested in this trip?  If so, I
shall be happy to pass on my contacts in Vietnam and Indonesia, which I
gathered from previous conference trips to Vietnam and Taiwan.

Attached is (relevant parts of) prior discrete correspondence.

Regards,

 - Jonas

[FOSSASIA]:
http://fossasia.org/blogs/fossasia-2011-ho-chi-minh-city-saigon-nov-11-13

[MiniDebConf Thailand]:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianThailand/MiniDebConf2011

[ARROS]: http://www.facebook.com/groups/arros/

[MiniDebconf India Mangalore Edition]:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIndia/MiniDebConf2011/MangaloreEdition

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Zack,

Is Debian able and willing to cover my travel expenses to conferences
and an ICT school work session in Asia?

[yes, this is a different mail than my other recent one: different
focus, and one conference left out + tougher travel plan cutting costs
to almost half of the prior plan]

Several Debian-related conferences are planned in Asia in the fall,
which I believe could benefit from raising awareness on Debian Pure
Blends.

I will give talks about Debian Pure Blends at each place, but frankly
expect the larger impact to be my engaging with the local communities
before/after the events.

I attended FOSSASIA in Vietnam 2010 where I afterwards spent a week
helping the organizers establish a small hackerspace in their home town.
I expect to revisit and continue that.

At MiniDebConf Taiwan 2009 I met students and teachers from an ICT
school in Banda Aceh with a strong interest in developing by the Debian
Pure Blend approach.  We currently do chat-based sessions on the use of
"boxer", and I expect a physical visit there can boost the progress of
generally reusable config classes for that tool. Boxer is yet another
debootstrap wrapper used in several Debian Blends - initially created
for FreedomBox with the sole purpose over other similar tools to
discourage derivation off of Debian and instead encourage getting
customizations integrated with Debian.

I can devote the time needed for the trip, will use private or cheap
accomodation, but cannot afford to pay for the unavoidable expenses of
travel costs.

My draft(!) travel plan so far looks like this:

  10-29: flight Copenhagen → Jakarta
  10-30: flight Jakarta → Ho Chi Minh City

  11-11 - 11-13: FOSSASIA 2011 [1]

  11-14: flight Ho Chi Minh City → Bangkok

  11-16 - 11-20: Thailand Mini-DebConf 2011 [2]

  11-28: flight Bangkok → Ho Chi Minh City
  11-29: flight Ho Chi Minh City → Jakarta
  11-30: flight Jakarta → Banda Aceh

  12-01 - 12-15: ARROS [3]

  12-15: flight Banda Aceh → Jakarta
  12-16: flight Jakarta → Copenhagen

I hope that you can/will help economically.  Costs (assuming prices do
not change) is DKK 7000 (approx. USD 1356 or EUR 939).

Regards,

 - Jonas

[1] http://fossasia.org/blogs/fossasia-2011-ho-chi-minh-city-saigon-nov-11-13

[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianThailand/MiniDebConf2011

[3] http://www.facebook.com/groups/arros/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 05:14:35AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Is Debian able and willing to cover my travel expenses to conferences
> and an ICT school work session in Asia?
<snip>
> I hope that you can/will help economically.  Costs (assuming prices do
> not change) is DKK 7000 (approx. USD 1356 or EUR 939).

This is more reasonable, but I've to put an absolute barrier to 1000
EUR, no matter how high the ticket prices will get. Also, for me this
would be a travel to push forward Debian Blends in the areas you will
visit, which is great! But it also means that for me the sponsoring is
for "someone active and respected in Blends", rather than for you
personally. I know that you perfectly qualify, but I want to avoid that
others will come forward and ask for similar sponsoring.

So, you have green light from me, as long as you discuss this with other
blends people and make sure they are fine with having you as some sort
of representative. With whom to discuss and using which medium, is
entirely up to you.

Also, and as you know, the usual sponsoring guidelines will apply.

Deal?