Re: References, registrations

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 01:16:58AM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > Let's wait for tomorrow. ;-)
>
> (thumbs pressed, fingers crossed, ..)

Worked. ;-)

> >> For the registration I have added a "Publication-URL" entry, which would need to span
>
> Nice to hear you like it.

Sure.  It's even implemented and documented [1].

> It is a bit awkward since the package's initial letter is part of the URL,

Well, we have pkgname[0]+'/'+pkgname+'.html' - that's cheap enough.

> but this "all
> on one page" kind of link I very much prefer over the current one. The regular users
> should rather investigate upstream's page and the README.Debian file of the package they
> install. They don't need to learn about the dependencies and such, IMHO. Either they need
> the software or they don't.

The only question I have is where exactly would you place this link and
how would you call this in contrast to "Official Debian package" and how
can we make sure that people hit the right link which is interesting for
them.  It's more an issue of usage of the tasks page problem than
anything else.

> I meant something scientifically citable for everybody's "Methods" section.
> "Bioinformatics" (kind of a well-respected default journal, impact factor about 4.2) for
> instance seems likely IM(and Andreas H.'s)HOs to take us. I'd want to discuss details on
> some platform that is not googled or archived, though.

Ah, OK.  Feel free to care for this.  I like it but I will spend my time
only with proofreading on it.  :-)

> > Hmmm, I would prefer to stay inside debian.org domain just for the
> > sake of consistency.  Moreover I have few means to verify that this
> > page exists and remains to exist.
>
> It is also more of a job for the regular Debian page displaying the package.

Yes.  I agree.

The other (longer part of my answer) will be joined to the relevant thread
on debian-devel.  Please join to clarify the interpretation of Enhances!

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ch-sentinel.en.html#s-packageslist

Klarmachen zum Ändern!