Re: Queue/Batch Systems

> > One peculiarity is that it's written in Java, so you need Java on all
> > your nodes.
>
> <Rant>
> Yeah, I had come accrossed it and at the first mention of java ran
> screaming away. Its partially my personal opinion, but mainly common
> sense, that wished debian's java policy was: "Just Say No!"
> </Rant>

Hmmmm, I know where you're coming from, but perhaps you should give
"common sense" a second look.  It's not like you have to program
yourself in Java - if you want to modify their code, you can use
JPython, they even give an example in the Maui documentation.  We've
had no stability problems at all with Maui, and as for performance, it
just isn't an issue with a queue/scheduler.

> Ok, but really my problem this this particular java program is that I
> would have to install the JRE on 20 nodes now, plus another 100 at the
> next stage of the cluster. Personally, I'd rather just write my own.

Try this:

yes yes | apt-get install j2re1.3

This automatically answers the license questions for you, so you can
do an automated install of java, provided that you have something like
this in /etc/apt/sources.list :

deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian stable main non-free

With a tool like dsh or cexec (from the C3 tools
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/torc/C3/ - highly recommended - no debs, but
they're just python scripts), you can run the above command on all
your nodes at once and have java installed everywhere in a couple of
minutes, whether you have 20 nodes or 200 nodes.

Eric