Re: ssh-vs-rsh benchmark result

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 09:42:44 +1000
Drake Diedrich <Drake.Diedrich@anu.edu.au> wrote:

>    Just to make clear, unencrypted/scarcely-authenticated  communication is
> normal for PVM and other parallel libraries.  ssh is only a convenient
> (.ssh/authorized_keys) way to start pvm.  In principle you could set up port
> forwarding tunnels between all nodes on the cluster and redirect each pvmd
> into each of these tunnels.  I've never seen it done, and don't take my word
> for it that it's even possible, you'd probably need to set up a lot of
> private addresses on each node since you can't control pvm's choice of port
> numbers.

Of course, it would be possible to run ppp-over-ssh and make everything
encrypted, but I doubt if anyone has done that.

It would be interesting to hear benchmark results of running processes
over ppp-over-ssh. (How long would the MPI example "pi" program take to
run over ppp-over-ssh?)

regards,
	junichi

--