Re: status?

    Mark> On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 07:30:18PM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson
    Mark> wrote:
    >> How is the Debian GNU/Linux Beowulf system going? Have any
    >> README's been written, any FAQ created?

    Mark> Not visibly, although a lot of your questions would probably
    Mark> be answered by the more generic HOWTOs and things.  (Is
    Mark> someone working on the website?)

    >> What do one need (package wise, kernel patches)? It's been
    >> about 7 months since I last checked this, and then it wasn't
    >> very mature, and I didn't have time to play around...

    Mark> All you really need to dip your toe in the water is some
    Mark> networked computers.  Write some software which distributes
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Mark> some work over them and there we are (or use some of the
    Mark> examples...).

Now that's the problem. I don't have time for that... I have barely
time to read my emails :)

If wanted to distribute the load of a mail system, ie instead of buying
one big, expensive SUN (= mucho dinero), I could start out with say 5
'smaller' PC's (say double 450's) and then use a cluster to 'pretend'
that it's one machine.

One alternative would be like many big sites do, mail1.xxx.org, mail2.xxx.org
mail3.xxx.org etc, etc adfinitum. I hate that! It's ugly and ... well, I
don't want it.

--
    We are GNU.  You will be GPL'ed.  Resistance is futile.
 / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \  Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>

SEAL Team 6 cracking Legion of Doom Clinton quiche radar Ft. Meade
World Trade Center domestic disruption colonel spy cryptographic AK-47
Albanian jihad