Re: wlroots backport?

18.08.2023 02:47, Nick Hastings пишет:
Hi Michael,

* Michael Tokarev <mjt@tls.msk.ru> [230815 02:55]:

There's an issue with wlroots and backporting: it is the soname of libwlroots
library.

can you please explain or point me to an existing explanation of this
problem?

I'm curious because I have backported wlroots 0.16.2 from testing/unstable
to bookworm. The produced libwlroots-dev and libwlroots11 packages seem
to happily coexist with the libwlroots10 that ships with bookworm.

There you go, this is where the problem is.  By just back-porting wlroots,
you gain nothing for bookworm, the back-ported lib isn't being used by
anything, until...

We don't gain much by backporting just the wlroots, the users of
the library has to be rebuild or backported too.

With the backported wlroots I'm able to backport sway from
testing/unstable and also able to build/package/use the latest version
of my wayland compositor of choice[1,2]. These backports required no
modifications to the source packages.

..until something *else* is backported too which uses the backported
wlroots, like sway.  So basically, if we're about backporting this,
we should think about backporting, for example, sway, with wlroots
as a pre-dependency, not wlroots alone.  *That* will make sense.
Backporting wlroots by itself does not.

/mjt