Re: Really enable -fstack-clash-protection on armhf/armel?

Hi Matthias,

On 2023-11-24 10:50, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 24.11.23 07:19, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> > In case there are any bugs, which is of course possible, please file
> > them and add debian-arm@ to X-Debbugs-CC.
>
> No, I will not do that.  Sorry, but the task of the porters it NOT to put
> this kind of work on the shoulders on others, but to do this analysis
> themself.  You seem to rely on every other package maintainer to figure out
> these issues on their own. Please don't do that.

I'm sorry if that is the impression you got. What I was trying to say
is: if you know that something is broken, please let us know because we
are not aware of any issues.

> Debian is the first distro to turn this on on armhf, but didn't do any
> checks or test rebuilds before turning this on.

I have rebuilt and tested a few key packages myself (clearly not
valgrind, heh).

It's true that we should have done a full archive rebuild, you're right.
I've asked for it in August and did not get any reply till October when
the flag was already enabled (and we had no reports of breakage at that point):
https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2023/08/msg00024.html

Now I've asked Lucas to go ahead with an armhf rebuild so that hopefully
we'll get a clearer picture.

One day debusine will make all this smooth and easy. :-)
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/gb/2023/MiniDebConfCambridge/Zini

> I filed now
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libselinux/+bug/2044506
> to collect some information what Ubuntu apparently hit.
>
> A major problem will be valgrind stopping to work, causing issues in the
> test suites of other packages.

Thank you.