Re: Activate a Real Time Clock chip on I2C in Raspberry Pi 4B with Debian (not Raspbian)

On Sunday, 16 April 2023 04:47:37 CEST Rick Thomas wrote:
> I've got a Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB) with a DS3231 RTC module.  I can make the
> combo work with Ubuntu and RaspberryPI-OS.  I'd like to try it with the
> plain-vanilla Debian from <https://raspi.debian.net/tested-images/> but I
> can't find instructions for activating the I2C and RTC hardware in that OS.

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/rtc/rtc-ds1307.yaml in the kernel source
describes how one could use it ('compatible = "maxim,ds3231"' for DS3231).
I think you should make a DeviceTree Overlay, but I don't know how to do that.