Re: arm64-net-install buster 10.2

Hi,

On 2020.02.03 15:53, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 10:41:17AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
Written to a 64GB card with dd, makes zero attempt to boot on rp4b.

Put presently running raspbian buster 10.2 card back in, boots up normal.

Suggestions?

According to https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi there is no support
for the Pi4 in Debian's kernel yet (after all it has to be supported
upstream before Debian will support it).  Raspbian has no issues with
using a patched kernel with stuff that isn't supported upstream yet as
long as it makes Pi models work with it.

Well, if you can live without SD support and with ACPI rather than Device Tree, then please be aware that I have just sent a patch that should enable netinst of *vanilla* Debian ARM64 on a Raspberry Pi 4 in ACPI mode, when using the EDK2 UEFI firmware from mainline edk2-platforms (See [1]).

The patch can be found at [2] and I am really hoping this can be fast-tracked for inclusion into 10.3, so that native netinst on the Pi 4 becomes about as easy as an x86 PC install.

Obviously, there are a few caveats:
- Because the RPi4's weird DMA and other matters, DT boot from UEFI is currently NO_GO, so only ACPI will work. Which means that, until we also sort an ACPI driver support for SDHC (which looks like this will require some work, as it's not as easy as adding a few ACPI binding to sdhc-iproc as we did for bcmgenet), you can forget about SD card support. Then again, USB 3.0 mass storage support seems to work brilliantly, and is much faster than SD anyway, so you're better off running Debian from USB anyway... - Also because of DMA, you will be limited to 3 GB RAM if you use the 4 GB model. Of course, we're working on removing that limit. - The relevant ACPI patches for networking are currently being integrated into EDK2, so the firmware binaries I pointed to in [1] don't have them yet (which means that, even if you apply the patch from [2] and rebuild your own kernel, networking won't work until you get a UEFI firmware with the relevant patches applied. But this should become a moot point soon hopefully). - Of course, since this is new development, the network stack may not be entirely stable at this stage. Personally, I've been observing some packet losses, that other people don't seem to observe, though those losses don't seem to prevent the system from downloading updates and stuff.

Still, if you plan to install vanilla Debian on the Pi 4 through net-install, and provided that the proposed patch gets applied, the next ARM64 vanilla ISOs should allow you do just that...

Regards,

/Pete

[1] https://github.com/pftf/RPi4
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=950578