Re: Debian 9 (armel) - doesnt start

On 1/24/20, Stefan Lehner <stefan-lehner@aon.at> wrote:
> Hi!
> I have a very unusal setup: a old Handheld PC with a StrongARM CPU on which
> i like to get Debian 9 running.
>

> Short summary of my Kernel:
> 4.9.210 with BX emulation patch (to get things going on the old ARMv4)
> CONFIG_AEABI=y
> CONFIG_OABI_COMPAT=y
> I can send a the full .config i fit necessary.
>
> The armel rootfs is copied onto a CF card with debootstrap Then I generated
> the devices and set some things linke  hostname, locale .
>

> $ debootstrap --arch armel --foreign stretch /mnt/jornada
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
> $ cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /mnt/jornada/usr/bin
> $ LANG=C.UTF-8 chroot /mnt/jornada qemu-arm-static /bin/bash
>
> $ /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
>
> $ apt install makedev
> $ mount none /proc -t proc
> $ cd /dev
> $ MAKEDEV generic
>
> And here is the problem: the kernel boots up fine, mounts the rootfs. After
> a while it displays crng init done and thats it. Nothing more .
> Can somebody help me?
>
> Here is the console output:
>
> --------linexec--------
>
> < SNIPPED! >
>
> random: crng init done

DISCLAIMER: I still haven't set up my own system of this sort yet, BUT
that doesn't stop me from attempting e.g. Internet searches. :)

Which I did with your very last line there. Without opening any
webpages, my front page of query returns repeatedly presents the
word... "hangs". So I'm reading into it that that line is somehow part
of that "hangs" package..

It sounds like one fix is as simple as just hitting the Enter key (but
doesn't always help):

https://lb.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=209093

For others, the fix was as simple as... "patience pays". If they just
waited it out, the system eventually booted, sometimes taking maybe
ten minutes:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/debian-hangs-at-boot-with-random-crng-init-done-4175613405/

It's interesting *to me* that that last line brought up so many
references to the word "hangs", as though that's possibly somehow part
of it. On the flipside, maybe it's just that that is predominantly the
last line received before the hang (e.g. as in this very thread) and,
as such, is why Users cherry-pick that line to start their own
discussions around the Internet. :)

Hope this one ends up being that simple. I did have one other thought
from personal experience with debootstrap. You didn't mention fstab
[0]. Does that come into play here at all for something like this? I
*do* see that some things mounted, just wondering about all the other
mount points involved in successful computing.

A PS is #ThankYou (!) for being my "learned something new today". I'd
never seen /debootstrap/debootstrap before. Will be spending a few
seconds getting familiar with that and all those other flags and such
that reach far beyond the most basic of debootstrap efforts.

Another last question might be: Does multistrap come into something
like this as an alternative toward success? Mentioning in case it's
new for some Users working with this type of installation..

Cindy :)

For newer Users of things debootstrap (where you roll up your sleeves
and dig in) and with focus on Stretch as in this very thread:
[0] https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/apds03.html.en#idm4444

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *