Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On Saturday 24 November 2018 09:14:48 bret curtis wrote:

> > > But even here in this place I have seen *a lot* of "cheap" arm64
> > > boards. Yes, the RPI3[+] is ubiquitous. And having to render Open
> > > GL stuff by CPU is precisely not the fastest thing around.
> >
> > <paraphrase> "I have a Raspberry Pi (or similar mobile class system
> > that has migrated / is migrating away from armel to arm64) and this
> > has forced a move from 'mobile' OpenGLES to 'Desktop' OpenGL.  The
> > result of which is that because that platform (and those like it) do
> > not have hardware acceleration for OpenGL but DO for OpenGLES you
> > think we should change the whole architecture for your use case."
> > </paraphrase>
>
> This is a very wrong assumption, the OpenGL on a RPi (all of them) is
> hardware accelerated via the VC4 mesa driver by Eric Anholt which is
> shipped, by default, on by Raspbian. It supports up to OpenGL 2.1 and
> if you plan on having hardware accelerated X11 or Wayland, you need
> the VC4 driver. You'll need "Desktop" OpenGL otherwise nothing will
> work on a RPi system, which as of 2015 has over 5 million units
> shipped. This is not an insignificant user base.

That was 2015? I would at least triple that figure now. I bought 3, 2
years ago, blew one, and still have 2. I went to buy two more a few
months back, sold out. More on order.  So that project got put on hold.

> IMHO, the decision to switch away from 'Desktop' OpenGL to GLES was
> the wrong decision and should be reversed until a solution is found to
> support both.

+1

And the OpenGL driver is of zero use to me until a preemp-rt, or full
RTAI kernel accompanies it. Once that becomes available, and more pi's
are in the supply line, you will see an explosion of pi's running cnc
machinery. Why? Because we also have an SPI driver as part of LinuxCNC
that actually works, at mind boggling data rates.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)