Re: arm64: Booting from USB with UEFI?

[ Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to debian-arm ]

Hi,

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:58:23 +0100
Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 09:32:46PM +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
> >[ Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to debian-arm ]
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >in the installation-guide there were some changings for arm64 architecture,
> >being worked on by wookey and 93sam:
> >see
> >https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/d-i/trunk/manual/en/boot-installer/arm.xml?r1=69757&r2=69774
> >and
> >https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/d-i/trunk/manual/en/boot-installer/arm.xml?r1=69776&r2=69781d
> >

> >That resulted to this:
> >-----<quote>---------------
> >
> >  <sect2 arch="arm64" condition="bootable-usb" id="usb-boot">
> >  <title>Booting from USB Memory Stick with UEFI</title>
> >
> >&boot-installer-intro-usb.xml;
> >
> >-----</quote>---------------
> >
> >However, this chapter does not appear in the installation-guide for
> >arm64, because arm64 is not declared to be "bootable-usb" in the
> >arch-options file.
> >
> >What's the state here?
> >Can arm64 boot directly from USB?
>
> Bugger. That's a mistake, yes. Quite a few (most?) of the arm64 UEFI
> platforms will boot from USB, and we've been making iso-hybrid CD
> images to support that ever since Jessie.

Ok, so I will add
boot="bootable-usb;isohybrid-supported"
to the arch-options file for arm64.

But that leads to another question:
There is missing content for something like "Boot Device Selection",
see
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch03s06.html#boot-dev-select
for a similar chapter for i386.
That one for i386 is probably not generic enough to fit for arm64 as well.
If someone could provide some information how to select the boot device
at arm64, that would be fine.

Regards
Holger

--