Re: new old user

re: new old user

No, my phones aren't mainstream.  I have a Motorola XT1505 and an
XT1527, the motoe2 line.  I'm not going to spend big bucks on a cell
phone, so I've got something less popular than Samsungs.  Motorola's
80ish years of experience with radio may have been a factor. Or I hold
a grudge because the only Samsung products I've owned died just after
the warranty expired.

Replacing the Android with something else isn't what I had in mind.
What I had wasn't chrooted either, it had its own partition but could
access Android's files.  Let's say I'd like to write something so SMS
messages from one number get treated one way (maybe sent by email) and
others a different way.  Or, I just had to update Google Play before
something would work and now my apps list scrolls vertically.  I liked
it better the way it was.  I can imagine some of these things could be
controlled by rc files but they're probably hard coded.

There was the start of a line of phone management stuff that appeared
in Synaptic, I forget the name of it, it was out of Europe I think.
None of it worked yet on my phone but it looked promising.  I guess
I'll aim at replacing what I had then trying to add drivers for things
like the touchscreen maybe patched in via xorg.conf or as kernel
modules.  Losing total control to Debian seems no better than Ubuntu
or Android.  Motorola puts their stuff on github, at least some of it,
maybe that'll help with drivers.  fvwm on a phone, yeah, that's the
ticket. :)

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX