"Expanding" memory of an armel device?

Hi.

My kurobox pro (an armel orion5x machine) has a very limited amount of
memory ("only" 128MB). Unfortunately, it seems that the programs in Debian
are only getting bigger not only on disk, but also requiring more memory
(and this includes the Linux kernel).

It constantly needs to use swap and running a simple `apt-get update &&
apt-get upgrade` (with pdiffs disabled) is super painful, taking many
minutes to run.

Since we don't have zram or similar modules in our kernel to try to
alleviate the situation, I was thinking of, perhaps, using some kind of fast
solid state memory to be used as swap.

Unfortunately, (I have not tested this yet) it seems that using a USB thumb
drive wouldn't help much: the speed that I get from the SATA HD reading
sequentially from the swap partition with `ddrescue` is about 40MB/s and I
expect a USB thumb drive to be considerably slower (of course, there would
be some extra factors to factor in, like the latency of accesses---I suspect
that the disk seeks in the HD to be non-negligible during the swap
activities).

That being said, the kurobox pro has a PCI Express connector. Is there any
cheap peripheral that I could buy that would help me with the task of
"expanding" the memory of this NAS?

Thanks,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA