Re: Debian 7.0 on Dreamplug basic installation and booting system external sd card

* Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> [2013-11-01 20:19]:
> IIRC the main reason is that the factory shipped u-boot can only speak
> FAT which isn't really suitable for mounting as /boot (lack of POSIXy
> features like symlinks, for e.g. the vmlinuz link, I think was the main
> issue).

But since the Dreamplug has a serial adapter, I think it's ok to
require an u-boot upgrade before installing Debian.

> On most platforms flash-kernel generally prefers to mount the device
> dynamically, for those sorts of reasons. At least that's how I remember
> one of the f-k folks explaining it to me.

No, that's not very common at all (although I see there are two other
devices now that do this).  The most common way is either to write
directly to flash (for machines that boot from flash), or to put the
files under /boot, under the assumption that /boot is where the device
boots from (and d-i has checks to make sure this is the case, although
d-i cannot check for everything).

Looking at #667681, I see that your original patch put the files in
/boot but Loïc suggested otherwise.  I don't agree with Loïc's
rationale but I guess I'm 1.5 years late...

If people think it's too late to change the behaviour now, I think it
would be good to at least add a simple message like
  Creating boot files on /dev/sdaX
to make it cleaer what's going on.

--
Martin Michlmayr