Re: New Arndale board announced

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 06:47:39PM +0100, Bortis Kevin wrote:
> Nice board. It seems that they have learned from some design flaws of their original arndale board design. Three things that I think are still criticall:
> 1. They still have no reasonable cooling solution and no mounting holes for a standard cooler/fan. The orginal arndale board got overheated really fast with a working clock of over 1GHz and was therefor very unstable.

Not sure if it would be a problem.  I am currently playing with an
early eval board with a dual Cortex-A15 at 1.5GHz without a heatsink,
and running one full out as a buildd to experiment with.  The other 10
miscelanious cores are idle at the moment, but over all I think it is
supposed to run at 2 or 3W, so that CPU there might only use 5 or 6W
running full out unless you actually decide you want to use the graphics,
which might take a bit more.

Of course the board I am playing with does have SATA and 1.5GB ram,
which I am very pleased with.

> 2. The board is missing a SATA connector. The internal eMMC is far to slow for speedy sw development.

Yeah, best I have seen from eMMC so far was 28MB/s.  Better than microSD
at 20MB/s, but not SATA.

> 3. There is still no working graphic driver with 3D/video acceleration that would work with vanilla debian. There is only an android blob available. Perhaps someone could try to get it running with libhybris/wayland, but this would be nothing more than a hack.

It also looks like ethernet is connected via USB.

That and the lack of sata is just a typical problem with the CPUs designed
for use in a smartphone.

--
Len Sorensen