RE: System crashes on USB connection

On my Kirkwood NAS (Netgear Stora) running Wheezy, I have a hub connected, I
find that plugging devices into the hub in the 'wrong' port resets it. This
doesn't affect my '/' as it's on the SATA disk. Do you know if the ports on
your QNAP are a hub internally?

I find the USB resets are port order dependent, if you can try swapping the
root fs and the printer, it might work.

I take it you don't have a serial console?

Regards

Paul