Re: Freescale i.MX6 boards/devices: Debian and related Distros?

Darethehair wrote:
There is a lot of good and optimistic info for running 'Ubuntu' linux on that chip (and various devices) -- but (in terms that I can understand) how easy is this likely to put pure Debian onto it?
If you find using a vendor kernel acceptable then it should be pretty easy to swap out the ubuntu root filesystem for a debian one. I suspect debian kernels will get some support for i.MX 6 in the future but I have my doubts as to whether it will be enough to make the device fully usable.

For a related question, my primary desktop Linux is LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) -- what *exactly* would I need from the maintainers of that distro to create an ARMv7 (Freescale i.MX6) version?
AIUI LMDE is debian with extra packages from the mint guys. Those packages would need to be rebuilt for armhf.

Is this even realistic for someone like me? I have compiled source in a 'tool chain' environment before (on an x86 desktop, to create binaries for my Nokia N800).
Debian packages are usually built natively, there is some support for cross-compiling in the tools but there has never been any requirement for the packages themselves to support it and many don't.

However the circumstances surrounding the introduction of 64-bit arm mean it is likely that a lot of effort will be put into cross-building support during the jessie cycle.