Re: Do I want to debootstrap Debian armhf on my iMX53 board?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 04:17:22PM +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Right, that's the doc that I couldn't find a minute ago.

Section 5.14:
http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/IMX53QSBRM.pdf

> >I think I too will just stick with microSD boot for now and then jump
> >to sata from there.  I really wish freescale had just put the darn dip
> >switch on in the first place.  How many cents could that have cost?
>
> What they say is that they wanted to make the board "easy to use",
> and to make sure that everyone in the "community is developing in
> the same way", which sounds like doublespeak to me.  Perhaps more
> likely is that they realised that the switch was a bit useless
> because you still need to mess with pull-up resistors too.

The pull up is only there BECAUSE the dip switch isn't.  If the dipswitch
was there it wouldn't be needed since the dip switch takes care of it all.

More likely the fact some revisions could only boot from microsd is why
they figure everyone should be stuck that way.  That and the few cents
costs savings doesn't hurt either. :)

--
Len Sorensen