Re: debian-installer -> cross-compile to armel?

Hi Loïc,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 05:21:11PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011, Jason wrote:
> > And... now, I'm at a loss because I see no way to add
> > dpkg-checkbuilddeps to the chroot.  Can I just add the default repo to
> > sources.list?  Why wasn't it added initially?
>
>  It's entirely possible that debootstrap doesn't create sources.list and
>  you do have to create it yourself after debootstrap, indeed.  No idea
>  whether that could be considered a bug or not.

Ok, so I wasn't off-base.  Well, I plunged in head first and actually
built the kirkwood netboot images a few minutes ago.  Below is how I did
it.  This is on Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit, should work on other debian
distros, ymmv.

1.) Install qemu-arm-static, debootstrap, mr

$ sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm-extras-static debootstrap mr

2.) Setup the armel chroot

$ mkdir -p ~/armel-chroot/usr/bin
$ cp /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static ~/armel-chroot/usr/bin/
$ sudo qemu-debootstrap --arch=armel wheezy ~/armel-chroot/

## Wait a while for stuff to install

3.) Configure sources and locale in the chroot

$ echo "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib
non-free" | sudo tee ~/armel-chroot/etc/apt/sources.list
$ echo "en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8" | sudo tee ~/armel-chroot/etc/locale.gen

4.) Put the debian-installer sources in the chroot

$ cd ~/armel-chroot/usr/src
$ sudo svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk debian-installer
$ cd debian-installer
$ sudo scripts/git-setup
$ sudo mr -p checkout

5.) chroot into it

$ sudo chroot ~/armel-chroot

6.) Install some needed utils into chroot

# apt-get update
# apt-get install dpkg-checkbuilddeps dpkg-dev locales $EDITOR

7.) Fix the locale

# locale-gen

8.) Install the builddeps for debian-installer

# cd /usr/src/debian-installer/installer
# dpkg-checkbuilddeps
# apt-get install $LISTED_ABOVE

## Check ourselves

# dpkg-checkbuilddeps

9.) Go build any armel netboot

# cd build
# make build_kirkwood_netboot

Now that I've documented it, I'll go modify d-i for dreamplug, then add
my kernel.  We'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!

Jason.