Re: spear1310 dual-core cortex A9, SATA-II etc. etc.

>> Do you know if there are any {Beagle,Panda}Board-like dev boards for this
>> thing around? The only product I can find at all is the ZT server one.
>
>  yes - which is expensive, not to mention exclusive to the company
> that commissioned the ZT Server.

You said it. Though I sent them an enquiry about selling individual
modules (or some similar non-blade product); we'll see what they say.

>  ok - i've sent an enquiry to ST, to see if they would be interested
> to create exactly such a board (if they haven't got one already).
> i've also asked them if, should they go to the trouble of introducing
> such a board, whether they'd like to create one that conforms to the
> EOMA/PCMCIA proposed standard:
>  http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture
>
> ok... i have however found this:
> http://www.ebv.com/en/products/categories/details/type/categories/category/mcu-peripherals/product/spear1310-spear1340-embedded-pc.html
>
>  it appears to be something vaguely along the lines-ish of
> {insertcodename}Board, but it's not like there's any links to a
> corresponding wiki / forum / developer site / git repository, which we
> know is critical to the success of such an effort.

I think this is simply the product page for the SoC on a distributor's
site; can't see anything about a board sporting the thing... :(
(I think they call the SPEAr13xx an 'embedded PC' because half of
everything is on-chip.)

>  perhaps, justin, you might like to contact both EBV and also
> spear-support-emea@st.com, to advise them of your needs?  likewise,
> can i advise anyone else interested in these CPUs to do likewise?  the
> more people that make themselves known, as well as informing the CPU
> SoC manufacturers of their free software expertise which can be
> leveraged to the SoC manufacturer's advantage, the better.

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

>  that "embedded pc" using spea1340 appears to be available Q4 2011,
> whilst the spea1310 (which we know was released earlier!) appears to
> be available Q1/Q2 2012.  i think i know what's going on here: the
> spear1310 made available to ZT Systems was a preview, and i heard that
> it worked... sort-of :)  perhaps it did the job that was required, but
> wasn't suitable for general release - now they've had another go at
> it, off it goes into the big wide world.  all pure speculation of
> course.

Ouch, sounds like the TI OMAP4xxx series -- the version of the A9 on
the PandaBoard has all sorts of... interesting bugs. Like userspace
crashing the processor. :S