Re: ARM toolchain for Android - Gcc ON android

> i.e. do you *absolutely have* to have gcc installed on the actual device.
yes. no other way. And is should be as small as possible. preferably in 10-15 MB. Just GCC, linker, bionic, system headers. nothing else.

otherwise, Can you tell me what directions you followed to compile gcc for android?

-Earlence

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Earlence Fernandes
<earlenceferns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are security researchers at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. We have a scenario where we need to be able to compile a C source on the Android device itself. Hence, I came upon the R project's Android port:

> http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=getting-started:installation:android
>
> I could not find who created the "android gcc", and I posted on the R porting list. They directed me here.
>
> Good news is that I've tried the gcc on the device and it works like a charm.
> question is, the size is really large.

 yes? and? that's normal.

> We have simple C files with no threading and the like.

 welcome to embedded application development.  have you seen the size
of the android development environment itself? :)

> Just bionic + linux system headers + lib math. Nothing else.

 you may be able to use uclibc instead of libc6.

> I was wondering whether I could strip the toolchain down to a bare minimum?
> Or what were your steps while building it in the first place, so that I can exclude things not needed up front?

 is it possible to either use an nfs mount, or to have the compiler on
an external usb or other external media?  i.e. do you *absolutely
have* to have gcc installed on the actual device.

 l.