Re: Upgrading u-boot on Sheevaplug

* Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> [2011-06-29 14:46]:
> Is there any chance you could make your updated guide available
> before hand -- maybe on the debian-arm list?  There may be folks on
> the list who could offer suggestions for cases you haven't been able
> to try...

I finally had a chance to play with u-boot 2011.06 on my SheevaPlug
and GuruPlug.

Here are the notes I took.  I'll update my web site accordingly soon.
Do you have anything else to add?

 - Version string: identify old (Marvell) version:
U-Boot 1.1.4 (Dec 27 2009 - 22:03:21) Marvell version: 3.4.27
   New version:
U-Boot 2011.06 (Jul 03 2011 - 02:54:01)
   Plus other info (device, compiler and binutils)

 - The bubt command does not exist in Denx u-boot; don't use it.

 - Use the .kwb file from the Debian package.

 - The location of the u-boot environment has changed (to 0x60000).

 - mmcinit was renamed to mmc init

 - The correct machid is set automatically by u-boot.  Exception:
   the eSATA SheevaPlug which shares an image with the regular Sheevaplug.
   On that device, do:
      setenv machid a76
      saveenv

GuruPlug notes:

 - Which port is eth0? upper port

 - SD/MMC is a USB device.

Anyway, 2011.06 is working well on my devices.  Thanks to Clint and
others for getting plug support integrated upstream and a package into
Debian.  I'm glad to finally be able to get rid of the Marvell version.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/