Re: armhf installer status?

Hello,

2011/7/12 PALFFY Daniel <dpalffy@rainstorm.org>:

> I'm trying to install debian on an mx53loco board. I have built a custom
> kernel from the linaro 2.6.38 sources, with most important drivers built in,
> it worked fine with the versatile armel installer initrd, after manually
> installing the kernel, running mkimage and setting up the bootloader,
> everything works fine. I've tried using both the efika initrds from
> http://people.debian.org/~zumbi/di-armhf/mx5/netboot/genesi/ (the only armhf
> installer I could find) and building an initrd in a debootstrapped armhf
> chroot, both fail when trying to download installer components from the
> mirrors, without telling which file they were missing.
>
> Are these images broken only on my hacked kernel, or is this a known
> regression?

Debian does not (yet) support mx53 LOCO boards, while patches are
welcome I would suspect, at least I would try to help getting those
into place (I am still waiting for one of those boards to arrive
here). Phil Endecott has already had the pleasure to get that device
running, and you are probably welcome to check his notes at:
  <http://chezphil.org/tvcomputer/index.html>

Regarding debian-installer on armhf, most of the support is already
there, but some bits are still leaving in branches, some other
packages need to be released and some other bits depend on other bug
fixes, for example, flash-kernel, the tool generating u-boot format
images for kernel and initrd does not handle hooks properly yet. I
tried to look into fixing that, but I got stuck on initramfs-tools not
calling hooks upon initrd create and delete, it only calls hooks on
upgrade. There was some discussion at debian-kernel mailing list [0]
about it. So basically, status is most support is there, but we need
to wait a little and be patient. I'll try to give it another try soon
and let the mailing list know about it.

You can probably easily get a cross rootfs generated using debootstrap
or multistrap and tweaking the rootfs a little bit. Polystrap tool
tries to wrap around multistrap to generate a usable rootfs using
emulation. It is being discussed at debian-embedded mailing list and
source is not packaged, but you can experiment (if it is of interest)
cloning from: <git://anonscm.debian.org/emdebian/polystrap.git>

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2011/06/msg00715.html

Cheers,
--

<free spam>
-- Would you like to make a donation for Debian Conference?
   ** http://debconf11.debconf.org/payments.xhtml **
</free spam>