QNAP TS-410 repeatable ata error

Hello,

I've recently installed Debian on a QNAP TS-410. Everything seems to
work pretty well, except for the SATA controller. In a device like
this, it's a pretty important piece of hardware :)

Everything works well up until a certain point. After a while the
machine becomes unresponsive because of it's root file system being
blocked by a failing ata link. It's (I think) the same problem that
has been reported earlier, but unike that problem this crash is
inevitable.

The easiest and fastest way to reproduce this error for me is to run a
mkfs.ext4 on a newly created md RAID set. I've logged the console
output[1] of the machine booting followed by my attempt to create a
big filesystem.

# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=4 ...etc.
# mkfs.ext4 -v -m .1 -b 4096 -E stride=32,stripe-width=64 /dev/md0

During the first few blocks of the mkfs the ata subsystem stops
responding.

Because some people have reported a reboot fixes the problem, I've
tried the same thing a second[2] time after both a cold and a warm
reboot. The same problem keeps popping up.

I've already updated the kernel to 2.6.32-25 from testing, but as you
can see in the logs, that didn't help. I'm out of ideas, so if anyone
has an idea I could try, that'd be helpful.

[1] http://www.jrrzz.net/~jorrizza/qnap_ts-410_ata_failure.txt
[2] http://www.jrrzz.net/~jorrizza/qnap_ts-410_ata_failure_2.txt
--
Greetings,