debian/armel status update

Just a little mail to co-ordinate activities with armel port atm:

- Buildd's

5 buildd's (all thecus n2100 based) running. I'm setting up
the 6th while writing this. I'm optimistic that these should
be enough for the time being. Testing-proposed-updates and
testing-security building should start before may, making
debian/armel lenny quite well supported.

- Packages

We currently have 6849 packages upto date, needs-build list
of 260 packages (from which 40 are out-of-date). In a week
or so we have tried building all packages, and I'll give-back
every package that is stuck in some weird state (building,
maybe-failed, incorrect dep-wait, fail).

A quick overview of what to do to increase armel package
availability:

fixing and NMU'ing failed[3] packages.

Most of these bugs are *not* armel specific, or are even
RC bugs. Anyways, the debian community in general benefits
from these bugs getting patches, or NMUing them. If you
have a fix for these, and the maintainer hasn't reacted,
you can contact me, colin, or any Debian Developer you know:)

Porting not-for-us[4] packages.

The difference between "failed" and "not-for-us"
is that "failed" packages are expected to get fixed by
the next upload, or at least relatively soon. Packages end
up in not-for-us either because they make no sense to
have on arm, or because the package needs active porting.

The dep-wait[5] list.

This list can mostly be used as priority list what not-for-us
packages to port, or what failed packages need building.

- Kernel

The current debian/arm and armel kernels suffer from a bug that
deadlocks kernel under certain robust futex operations. This has
caused buildd's lock under apr and glibc testsuits. Another issue
is that oldabi arm chroots do not work when using a armel kernel.

Fixes for both[1][2] will be included in next kernel packages
uploaded, which should happen really soon now.

- GCC

Binaries compiled using -fstack-protector segfault on both arm and
armel. The security team has not yet started their big push for
using crazy security options everywhere, so this affects only
relatively few packages. PR35965, #469517 filed.

Since the migration to gcc-4.3, some source files compiled with
-funroll-loops will cause a gcc ICE. This one is affecting
surprisingly many packages. PR35964 #476460, filed.

- Debian-installer lenny

I'm not quite sure where we are with armel lenny d-i. Can someone
fill me in?

- Arm -> armel upgrading

I've been working for this for a while, stay tuned, I should have
something out soon.

[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/14/
[2] http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/viewpatch.php?id=4878/1
[3] http://buildd.debian.org/stats/?arch=armel&state=Failed
[4] http://buildd.debian.org/stats/?arch=armel&state=Not-For-Us
[5] http://unstable.buildd.net/buildd/armel_Dep-Wait.html

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups