Re: kernel2.6.22 or later

Hi Richard!

Richard schrieb:
> So far I havn't managed the correct syntax to grab the kernel source.
>
> tried this "linux-source-2.6.22-2-ixp4xx_2.6.22-4_arm.deb"
> and a few like it and no luck

apt-get install linux-source-2.6.22
cd /usr/src
tar xvjf linux-source-2.6.22.tar.bz2

> Also havn't got the right name for make-kpkg

apt-get install kernel-package

I haven't read the whole thread. Are you really going to compile linux
on a slug? Do you have a fatslug? Please note this will definitely take
ages and might abort due to low memory.

> And finally which are the config files to boot into the new kernel.
> I've looked for both lilo and grub.

lilo and grub are for x86 and no good for arm. The slug boots its kernel
and ramdisk from flash rom. The trick is to use the program
"flash-kernel". This is probably done automatically if you use make-kpkg
to build a kernel .deb and install that. Make sure by watching the
postinst messages and looking for a line that says something like
"kernel and ramdisk sucessfully flashed". r elase just invoke that
program manually after installing the new kernel.

> I'd like to get that bit right before rebooting, else I might not be
> able to get back into it.

Just make a backup of the flash contents before and copy that to another
machine. If the new kernel refuses to boot, you can upslug your backup.

cheers

Kevin